Sunday, April 25, 2010

Heathers

I'm sorry about the late post, I had internet problems yesterday.

I really liked this movie, but I think the reading kind of missed the point about many aspects of it. However, it's very likely that I'm the one that missed the point. I didn't see any deeper meaning to many of the references in the film, either because I'm, not old enough to catch them or because they seemed so natural. For example, I heard them talking about Gilligan's Island on the radio, but I didn't feel like there was anything really important in it--it reminded me that I was watching an 80s movie because many things about high school haven't changed all that much, but I don't think we need to question the meaning of why some unrelated person would feel like they were on an island at that moment. Most of the cultural references in the film just added to the authenticity of it, I don't think we need to analyze it all. It wouldn't be all that accurate if those references were missing, because popular culture is a part of people's everyday lives (especially in high school), and to leave those things out would make the entire feel of it wrong. I thik the author of the article was trying too hard to fit all of those things into a neat little box that had some deeper meaning to the film, and the result, while somewhat helpful, feels inaccurate somehow.

I also disagree completely about the "causality" of J.D.'s actions. I don't think his ultimate goal was to blow up the school tocreate a new Woodstock, because I believe he is a sociopath with no rhyme or reason to what he does. I felt like the huge suicide note signed by the students was more of an excuse for his own actions and had very little to do with the world outside that school. I can't seem to figure out if his father killed his mother or if his mother went into the building to kill herself, but J.D. does have some morbid preoccupation with death and specifically suicide, and I feel like in the end it was all an attempt to give meaning to something he didn't understand. He made up suicides for his classmates and people take the clues behind the suicides and tried to give them meaning, but because the suicides were fake the clues were essentially meaningless, putting all those clues together led the adults to the wrong conclusion-- Heather wasn't a deep and misunderstood girl and the jocks weren't gay, and none of the killed themselves. In the same way, trying to take all the "clues" from the film to give it a deeper meaning seems wrong and will eventually lead to an inaccurate interpretation because the postmodernist references aren't actually clues.

When J.D. said he's been to 7 schools and nothing's really changed, I wondered if there were a string of "suicides" at his other schools as well--he's very good at it, he doesn't seem to have any kind of issue with it, his father doesn't have any kind of strange reaction which leads me to assume he thinks it's a normal teenage thing nowadays. I think the huge fake suicide pact was more of his own way to make things here different. Either way, I don't think his motivations really matter because he's a sociopath. I think the biggest point to J.D. is that there is no minimum age to be evil.

I have a tendency to overlook feminist themes because, to be perfectly honest, I find feminism really boring. I did notice something that seemed interesting though: This is the first movie we've watched where the women are cursing. Men haven't really cursed all that much in the other movies, but generally "foul language" seemed like a male thing until now. There must have been a reason women didn't curse often before and why it was so common in this film.

I also noticed something else and I'd really like your opinions on this because I want to know if there's something to it of if I'm imagining things. At the very end of the film, when Veronica walks out of the school before J.D., she looks like she's about to throw up and she's holding her belly in the way that pregnant women do, not someone about to be sick. I REALLY thought she was going to try to stop J.D. by announcing she was pregnant. Did anyone else notice anything like that?

4 comments:

  1. I too found J.D to be a complete sociopath and I found it interesting that you wondered if he committed these "suicides" at his 7 other schools. I have to say I wondered the exact same thing. I feel like he goes from school to school, finds a vulnerable young girl to manipulate, and carries out his killing sprees masked as suicides.
    To answer your question I have to agree with your observation because I wondered the same thing. She did hold her stomach as if she was pregnant! Twenty bucks says she was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how I felt about the string of other schools. When he said that, I just thought of him going through the same thing over and over and finally he just decided "this is boring now, let's kill people." I don't think he's been doing it because I feel like that's a detail he'd carry with him in some way.

    With the thing at the end, I can't say I noticed it. Maybe she really was pregnant and gets to make teen pregnancy the new fad. Suicide out, pregnancy in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was interesting how you wondered if J.D. had committed these murders at any of his other schools that he went to. I never really thought about that part of it until now. I'm not sure what to think about that but it's kind of interesting what guyinachair said about he just got bored with the same thing at every school. I didn't notice the pregnancy thing at the end of the movie but it's interesting that you bring it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In general, I wouldn't put any significance into anything that the movie itself doesn't tell us, or that doesn't add deeper meaning to the story. And if it's a hint or a subtext, generally there'd be other hints to support it. I think it was more like she'd just been beat up and was staggering out. Being pregnant wouldn't add anything much to the story.

    I think you're more or less violently agreeing with the reading--or at least saying the same thing, which was that the various cultural references were deliberately trivial and pointless. That's what he meant by 'floating signifiers' and 'broken chains of signifiers--' Everything was empty and without real significance, even suicide, or even things that were supposed to be symbolic, like the hair scrunchie. JD wasn't a hero or a troubled teen, just a psychopath. His psychological backstory came too late to really matter, and maybe as more a sop to genre expectations than something with any real depth. It's all surface and style and attitude--in short, postmodernism. The place where I personally think the reading was weak was that he wanted the movie to have more significance than it did, or somehow offer hope to teens or something, which is antithetical to the point of postmodernism.

    Out of curiosity, why does feminism bore you?

    ReplyDelete